Total Pageviews

Thursday 31 October 2013

Cliches

       George looked up from shoeing the horse to see the outline of Curley's wife in the doorway of the barn. They were alone.

      "What are ya doing in here? it's late, by now you should be snug as a bug in your own bed."

      Curley's wife smiled and remarked, "I was, I was like a pig in a blanket until I heard you stirring up a storm in here"

      George quickly turned away and meekly uttered, "Sorry, I'll put a cork in it now if you'd like"

      "That's alright, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do so I'm not gonna flip my lid over it" stated Curley's wife.

      "Don't I know it," affirmed George, "if I wasn't doing this I would be poorer then a pickpocket in a nudist colony."

      Curley's wife edged just a step closer questioned, "What are ya doing hanging around Lennie? There's no funny business between the two of you right? Because if ya ask me i'd say he's a bit of a wet blanket."

     "Well Lennie may not be the cream of the crop but to me he still is company," retorted George.

     "Now I don't wanna curb your enthusiasm but you best be outta here. I don't wanna fan the flames of hatred between me and Curley"

      "I'll go," conceded Curley's wife, "but just remember that I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and I can put two and two together."

      George sat alone now, questioning what she knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment